On 11.03.2008 04:48, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

We could argue about another default value than -1 though. Something like 1024^2.

What do others think? Shall we change the default value from "buffer everything" (which lead to the OutOfMemoryError [1]) to something more "secure" in the sense of avoiding a potential source of error? Besides mentioning it on the changes page we have to set it to a value that's unlikely to be hit with a normal web application to change user application's behavior only in extreme cases. That's why I suggested 1MB.

Hmm, not sure if we should change the default value. The idea of this default was to be sure that error handling works out of the box. If you have special cases like mentioned in the bug, it makes imho more sense to fine tune these special cases (for instance by not buffering).

But I fear hardly anybody is aware or even uses the feature.

The output buffer value is one of the settings which is "optimized" for development and it should be tweaked for production usage.

It's not really development, is it? I mean even if you can not reset output buffer completely, you will still get the error markup appended and I would not care for development about how this looks :)

Being aware of the potential change in behavior I also chose a quite huge buffer of 1 MB so that hardly anybody should be affected. We can also discuss about making it even bigger like 10 MB. But I consider a buffer that's flushed too early once in a while better than an OOME in the default setup. And people can still change it to -1 and endless buffering if they really need. But at least they are aware of the effects then.

Joerg