I received two responses from legal-internal regarding choosing a name. Both are below. To summarize, Sam doesn't state an opinion one way or the other on the name, just the basis for choosing one. Henri recommends against both Corona and Silk and would prefer that the name for subprojects as this be based on their function rather than a codename. For example, he would prefer something like Apache Cocoon Pipeline - which is more or less what we've been doing for blocks.

Ralph

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: project names
Date:   Sat, 2 Aug 2008 09:20:15 -0400
From:   Sam Ruby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Most of the expertise in name-choosing is in the incubator.

My understanding is that trademark law is based on the notion of
"likelihood of confusion", a standard that does not easily enable
binary and final determinations short of litigation.

TESS <http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=879qc0.1.1> may
be used to search for registered trademarks.

- Sam Ruby