Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>> The feedback of our student group was rather the opposite. I'm pretty
>> sure that it helps to understand Cocoon 3 if all different pipeline
>> component implementations follow the same logic.
> Hmm, ok, I don't think so, so let's just agree that we disagree here.
>
>> But of course my "survey" isn't really scientific ...
> I haven't even done a survey but just did test myself :) From the past I
>  know that many people were confused by all the interfaces and abstract
> classes we had in Cocoon 2.x, but maybe that's different with a new C3.
>
>> I'm not fully convinced yet. I will have a look at it again when I can
>> apply the patch and can build Cocoon. I have some (internal) code that
>> uses cocoon-sax and I want to understand all effects.
> Apart from the stax stuff, it builds (at least for me) and the tests
> run. I'll add a second patch which fixes the stax stuff.

Thanks, will try it out asap.

>> I'm also preparing a project proposal (GSoC, Vienna-based student
>> groups) about "Cocoon profiling" which relies on Spring AOP and I have
>> to think about the influence of not having SAXConsumer and SAXProducer
>> anymore.
> Hmm, I think this should still be possible.
>
> Now, to be honest, I find the whole situation not very comfortable at
> the moment. There are only a few contributing to C3 and nearly no other
> comments. My intention is to have a small, nice and easy, pipeline api
> which allows me to build sax pipelines. And I want to have as less
> dependencies and as less stuff in their to make it understandable as
> possible. I don't think that the symmetrie to the other implementations
> helps us. But that's of course my personal opinion. I think we (Steven,
> you, the Vienna-based students and myself) have a opinion and I guess it
> is based on/influenced by our experience and we are somehow stuck in our
> thinking. So it would be great if others could voice their opinion.

I don't know if there is a right or wrong for this case. IMO we can only
judge on our personal experiences and tastes on what we think that good
software should look like. So yes, more opinions would be highly
appreciated.

Apache Cocoon Committer, PMC member                  reinh...@apache.org