From: Thorsten Scherler [mailto:scher...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:26 PM
To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: possible design flaw in servlet service (c2.2)

On 03/14/2012 11:19 AM, Robby Pelssers wrote:
Hi guys,

I was just having a chat with my colleague about writing servlet services in
one block and using them in another block.  And I told him apparently you can
only return xml from a servlet service.  I found this out by writing a service
(plain old XSLT) which takes as input XML and returns text or in my particular
case JSON.

Whereas this XSLT gets the job done if I use it in a regular pipeline, I could
not use it in a servlet service.  Is there a good reason the output from a
servlet service can only be XML?  On the docs from C3 for instance
http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/reference/html-single/index.html I read following
statement:

It is the responsibility of the Producer to decide whether a specific Consumer
can be linked to it or not (that is, whether it can produce output in the
desired format of the Consumer or not).

Does this mean C3 would not have this restriction?

I am not sure what you are referring to but it strikes me ought "a servlet
service can only be XML". Need to find some time to setup a small test myself,
but AFAIK the service can return whatever.

salu2

--

Thorsten Scherler <scherler.at.gmail.com>

codeBusters S.L. - web based systems

<consulting, training and solutions>

http://www.codebusters.es/