I do agree and would be +1 for retiring 2.1.x as well.

If you want any traction within Cocoon project, you'll need at least
focus. And here my vote would clearly go to 2.2/ 2.3 (even though I
never adapted it myself due to the build system issues we always had
with it and despite all the fond memories of 2.1).

Regards,
Jörg