Not sure if this should be regarded as a problem or not, but I get a
test failure when using IBM Java:

java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pwi3260-20071123_01)
IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, J2RE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Windows XP x86-32
jvmwi3260-20071121_15015 (JIT enabled)
J9VM - 20071121_015015_lHdSMR
JIT  - r9_20071121_1330
GC   - 20071031_AA)
JCL  - 20071118_01

    [junit]     Caused an ERROR
    [junit] org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ContextBase$MapEntryImpl
incompatible with java.util.HashMap$Entry
    [junit] java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ContextBase$MapEntryImpl incompatible
with java.util.HashMap
$Entry
    [junit]     at java.util.HashMap.writeObject(Unknown Source)
    [junit]     at
java.io.ObjectStreamClass.invokeWriteObject(ObjectStreamClass.java:957)
    [junit]     at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(ObjectOutputStream.java:1473)
    [junit]     at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:1404)
    [junit]     at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1162)
    [junit]     at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:338)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ContextBaseTestCase.testSeriaization(ContextBaseTestCase.java:368)
    [junit]
Target 'internal-test' failed with message 'Test
org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ContextBaseTestCase failed'.

I've no idea why this error occurs, as the code in question says:
     "private class MapEntryImpl implements Map.Entry"

There are some errors that Findbugs finds:

org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ContextBase is Serializable; consider
declaring a serialVersionUID

Quite a few of these too:
Non-serializable value stored into instance field of a serializable class:
e.g.
org.apache.commons.chain.web.portlet.PortletApplicationScopeMap stored
into non-transient field PortletWebContext.applicationScope
org.apache.commons.chain.web.portlet.PortletParamMap stored into
non-transient field PortletWebContext.param

Looks like the serialization tests are not picking these up.

If no-one has reported any related problems then perhaps these
particular classes are never serialized.

These will probably be tricky to fix, so I guess they could be left
for another release.