On 08/10/2008, Stefan Bodewig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, sebb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>  > Given that compress is in the sandox, it seems strange that it affects
>  > so many projects.
>  >
>  > Do they really all depend on compress?
>

> Transitively, commons-vfs depends on commons-compress
>

> http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/commons-sandbox/commons-compress/details.html
>
>  and Ivy depends on commons-vfs which again is responsible for most of
>  the rest.

Yes.

>  > Or maybe some of the dependencies are optional, but the descriptors
>  > are wrong...

The odd thing is that I cannot find the compress dependency in the
Ant/Maven2 files; compress is listed in project.xml, but commented
out.

Looks like the VFS gump descriptor may be out of synch with what the
project actually needs. Perhaps it was not updated when VFS moved from
the sandbox?

I suppose one could make the dependency optional (or remove it) and
see what happens...

BTW, there is a gump.xml in VFS SVN trunk - but it is clearly out of
date, as it refers to jakarta. Does Gump support external descriptors?
I thought they all had to be in the gump/metadata/project directory.