On 13/01/2009, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
>  DBCP seems to have been fairly quiet for a while. In recent days I have hit
>  / seen others hit various issues including:
>  - DBCP doesn't build on a 1.6 JVM
>  - Tomcat 5/6 can't build on a 1.6 JVM because it depends on building DBCP
>  - Tomcat trunk (the basis for 7) requires building on a 1.6 JVM
>  - One of the major reasons Gump builds on a 1.5 JVM is DBCP
>
>  Putting to one side that the root cause is incompatible changes in the JDK
>  (grr) there is a patch in Jira (DBCP-191) to address this issue.
>
>  I'd like to at least get these changes into svn with the intention of moving
>  towards a DBCP (1.3?) release.
>
>  Any objections or anything I need to be aware of before I start work?

Looks like some of the changes to the JDBC API mean that it is not
possible to create a single version of DBCP which is compatible with
both Java 1.4 and 1.6.

Will that mean moving DBCP to a minimum of Java 1.6?
Or can it be made compatible with 1.5 and 1.6?
What are the plans for supporting Java 1.4 and 1.5?

I don't actually use (or plan to use) DBCP, I'm just trying to ensure
that it's clearly stated what solving the problems for Java 1.6 would
mean for earlier Java releases.