On 17/03/2009, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

>  On Mar 16, 2009, at 5:32 PM, sebb wrote:

> VFS
> Configuration
> 2.0.
> key

> than
> > > >

> > > That's fine. Also, while you do this you might want to review the
> project
> > > and make sure it has everything for a proper release. I will be doing
> the
> > > same?
> > >

> > There seem to be a few java files that don't have AL headers. The
> > source of these needs to be established and the AL header added if OK.
> >

>  Thanks, I'll take a look.
>

> > Also, which Java version is targettted?
> > The pom files don't seem to include a definition.
> >

>  They are inherited from the commons parent pom.

<soapbox>
IMO, that's a bad idea, as it it quite hard to find out the setting
without running Maven.
It's also not clear whether someone forgot to specify the Java version.

Unfortunately M2 needs Java 1.4+ and the compile stage uses 1.4+ libraries.
So it does not detect the problem.

I think the parent pom should have forced projects to specify the version.
</soapbox>

> > Actually, just found that project.properties species source/target=1.3.
> > It would be helpful to include this in the Maven2 POM(s).
> >

>  project.properties don't apply. They are left over from the maven 1 build.
> That should really be deleted along with the project.xml

Agreed, but at least it gave a clue as to the intended Java version.

> > However, there is some Java 1.4+ code in core/ and sandbox/ as several
> > files use RuntimeException(Throwable).
> >

>  Hmm. I thought it was targeted at 1.3 but I wonder how that could be. In
> fact, a grep on vfs-1-trunk shows it was also doing that. Given that, I
> would say that changing it to 1.4 would be the correct thing to do.

Agreed.

Also makes it possible to test correctly using M2.
The Ant build can also be dropped.