I'm not a big fan of that. I prefer using Logback's and Log4j's ability to include the class name, method name and line number in the logging pattern. The overhead of that is not that large now that they are both using the getStackTrace method to get the information. In fact, I'd prefer to switch to SLF4J and just replace

                if (log.isDebugEnabled())
                {
                        log.debug("putFile: " + file.getName());
                }

with

                logger.entry(file.getName());

using SLF4J's XLogger class. But although that is what I would prefer I wouldn't dream about doing that without lots of discussion first.

Ralph