On 27/03/2010, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 03/27/2010 08:14 PM, sebb wrote:
>

> > >  Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5
> > >
> > >  instead of Win32 2003 r2 Platform SDK - is that OK?
> > >

> > Scratch that - the download page for that now says to use:
> >
> > Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
> >

>  Like said, you will need 2K3R2 SDK cause it has a compiler
>  that produces binaries linked against MSVCRT.dll
>  It has only 64-bit compilers, so you will need VS6 for
>  32 bit ones.
>
>  Windows 7 SDK has VS2008 inside and creates binaries
>  linked with MSVCRT9.dll
>  When you try to load the Java5 (MSVCRT.dll) or Java6
>  (MSCRT71.dll) that creates a lot of problems.

I see.

So is the idea to link against the earliest version of the CRT so that
the applications will continue to run under later versions of Java?

>  How to setup the command line environment?
>  Well, if you don't know that, what's the point of trying
>  to develop in C?

I do know how to use DOS (and have written quite a few DOS scripts,
and have written lots of C in the past, on Windows 3.1, Unix, OpenVMS
and others I have forgotten).

But I didn't know what you meant by "setup the command line environment".

Did you just mean calling SetEnv with the appropriate flags?

> > > Where is SetEnv.cmd to be found?
> > >

>  Inside Platform SDK directory

OK, I've seen that mentioned in the release notes now that I have
downloaded the SDK.