From: "sebb" <seb...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:57 PM
To: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [Math] What about issue 361?

On 27/04/2010, Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> >  There haven't been any comments about the demo files I've uploaded
 > >  on April 1, concerning this issue:
 > >   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-361
 > >
 > >  Is there an implied policy of "silence gives consent"?
 > >

 > Apache does have a concept of lazy consensus, but that applies to
 > votes, and the vote e-mail will say that it is using lazy consensus.
 >
 > I don't think it normally applies to JIRA issues.
 >
> > Someone had suggested creating a branch. That would be a way to set up a
 > >  fully working demo of the proposed changes.
 >
> It will be much easier to understand the changes if they are presented as code.

They are, in the files posted on the JIRA page of the issue.
 The sample code is fully working.

There don't seem to be any properties files.
It would be helpful to have say French and English files for testing.

 > It would also be possible to set up a sandbox project containing a few
 > example classes from the Math codebase. That might be easier to
 > comprehend as it would be a lot smaller.
 >
> By the way, there are no AL headers in the code. These need to be added.
 >
 > Also, the Cal10nAdapter class is in a strange package - why not put it
 > in a commons package?

As I stated, this is a demo code, not a patch and not intended to be
 included as is.

> > I would also need someone knowledgeable in Maven to perform modifications > > that would allow the creation of multiple JARs, and set a dependency to the > > "CAL10N" library. [A compile-time dependency for Commons-Math itself, and a > > runtime dependency for the code that will be a bridge to the "CAL10N"
 > >  external library.]
 >
 > Not sure why you need multiple jars.

To enable runtime selection of the L10N implementation, letting the user
choose whether he wants to depend on the CAL10N external library or whether
 he is happy with the default (English) message text.

Might be possible to do that by checking if the CAL10N jar is present
- if not, fall back on the default.

But I'm not sure it's worth having special processing just some users
of the English version don't have to download the additional jar.

AIUI, the English messages will need to be defined both in the
standalone NoDepFramework class and in the math_messages_en.properties
file. That is just making extra work.

Either we do this and include the CAL10N dependency, or we don't use
this method at all.

Yes, I agree. But would also be -0.5 on changing the packaging before math-3.0.

The functionality is probably not easily figured out from a quick glance at the code, that's why I'm asking how we can proceed from here so that people can try it out without too much extra work (such as I did to test the files
 I uploaded to JIRA).

That's why I suggested a sandbox project.

+1