On 07/06/2010, Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sebb wrote:
>  > On 07/06/2010, Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> I would like to get the bug fixes since 1.5.4 released.  We are down
>  >>  to just deprecations and other doc fixes left open against 1.5.5.  I
>  >>  have some more javadoc fixes (mostly filling in missing javadoc in
>  >>  PoolUtils) in progress.  Patches / commits to resolve POOL-167,
>  >>  POOL-169 and opinions on POOL-161 are welcome.
>  >>
>  >>  If there are no objections, I will create an RC once the doc fixes
>  >>  are complete and RM the release.
>  >
>  > Is the target JVM still 1.3?
>  >
>  > If so, then JUnit 3.8.1 needs to be used, as 3.8.2 uses a method
>  > introduced in Java 1.4.
>  > [Or we might be able to recode the assertions to avoid the method -
>  > I've not checked, but I think that could be messy.]
>

> Min JDK remains 1.3, so we need to do one of these if we want the
>  tests to run under 1.3.
>

>  > Also, do you want to try using Nexus for the Maven release?
>

> No. It is easy enough for me to cut the release using the "manual"
>  process described in the release docs.  We can talk in general about
>  if / when we move to the release plugin overall; but for releases
>  that I RM, I would prefer for now to use the manual method that is
>  simple enough for me, focusing my time on the code.

I'm not talking about using the release plugin.

What Nexus does is act as a staging repo for "mvn deploy" - so you can
vote on the actual Maven artifacts, rather than having to pick them
out of your local repo first. If the vote fails, drop them from the
repo, otherwise promote them. Less messing around.

Note that the Commons parent POM currently overrides Nexus.
See:

http://wiki.apache.org/commons/UsingNexus

[I've not yet updated that with the details of how to override the URL.]

If you want to experiment, just use "mvn deploy" with a SNAPSHOT
workspace - that cannot do any harm.