Hi,

after a very long time Gump has started to build larger parts of Cocoon
again and we've run into an issue.  Cocoon's expression language uses
JEXL 1.x and in Gump it builds against the the 1.x svn branch of JEXL.

Unfortunately the VelPropertyGet interface inside that branch contains a
method that is new when compared to JEXL 1.1

<http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/cocoon/cocoon22-expression-language-impl/gump_work/build_cocoon_cocoon22-expression-language-impl.html>

A quick scan revealed the isAlive method has been introduced as part of
JEXL-13 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JEXL-13> in svn revision
543702
<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/jexl/branches/1.x/src/java/org/apache/commons/jexl/util/introspection/VelPropertyGet.java?r1=480412&r2=543702>
more than three years ago.

JEXL-13 claims 2.0.1 was the release to incorporate the fix, so to me it
looks as if the patch should have never been applied to the 1.x branch.
My suggestion would be to revert JEXL-13 from the branch, but then again
I'm neither familiar with JEXL nor Cocoon's usage of it.

If reverting the patch seems to be a bad idea, what would the JEXL
developers recommend to the Cocoon developers going forward?  I'm not
sure whether migrating Cocoon to JEXL 2.x would be an option.

Stefan