Hi Stefan,
I've had a quick look at the jexl-1.x source; the VelPropertyGet.isAlive
method is not called anywhere in jexl's code or tests. Commenting it out
from the interface does the trick.
The real problem lies in changing this public interface which could be
harmful to other projects that may depend on it.

The easiest (obvious) route would be for you to use a locally modified /
built jexl-1.x snapshot. We could also create a specific 'gump' branch with
that modification but this would be really odd process-wise...

A cleaner more future-proof alternative might be to use jexl-2 and the
jexl-1 compatibility layer which is part of the distribution as source only
(
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/jexl/trunk/jexl2-compat/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/jexl/
); I might help/check feasibility if needed.

Cheers
Henrib