From: "Gilles Sadowski" <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 2:27 PM
To: <dev@commons.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [Math] Usage of "NullPointerException"

> A simpler policy would be to not check for "null" and let the JVM do > it. As > the JVM will do it anyway, it's a redundant check when the reference is > not
> null, i.e. most of time (in legitimate usage).

This simpler policy seems fine to me.
However, it is an important change from previous behaviour.

In practice it is not that important: there are currently only 29
occurrences of messages referring to "null"; among those only 6 raise a
NullPointerException (the others throw an IllegalArgumentException).

> When the usage is wrong, the error is obvious and always the same > ("null > reference") and the "NullPointerException" fully identify the problem. > I > don't see why we should have a localized version of it. Yes, again, > there
> are detailed messages saying:
>  "the covariance matrix cannot be null"
>  "the function cannot be null"
>  "the denominator cannot be null"
>  etc.
> But since any reference can potentially be "null", do you really intend > to
> have a specific meesage for every object?

For these very low level errors, I would be happy with the single
message from JVM.

I would be happy with a single message from the JVM. Especially since we are now inconsistent about when we use the localized version vs. the JVM version of NPE.

So, shall I remove all checks for "null" (and those items in
"LocalizedFormats" that are used for reporting it)?
Should I open a JIRA issue?

It looks like we'll need a JIRA for this. Since we have places that document that it throws IAE on a null parameter, that would be an incompatible change for 2.2. So they would have to wait for 3.0.

If you want to change the places where we throw a localized NPE, that would be fine for 2.2 IMHO (my quick spot check only shows BigFraction). Knock yourself out.