> >> This simpler policy seems fine to me.
> >> However, it is an important change from previous behaviour.
>
> Sorry, I am not sure I understand what you mean by the "simpler
> policy."  Which one do you mean:
>
> 0) remove null checks uniformly and just let NPEs propagate everywhere

Yes.

> 1) remove NPE wrappers, propagating uwrapped NPEs where the code
> wraps and rethrows NPE today.

I don't understand this. I didn't find occurrences where a NPE is wrapped
into something else.

> 2) other?
>
> I am -1 on 0), since this would result in loss of FFC info available
> in the cases where we rethrow NPE as IAE with an exception message
> indicating which argument was null (like the examples below).

What does FFC mean?
I think that using IAE instead of NPE does not bring any added value. It
justs goes against standard usage: throw NPE when a reference is "null"
and is not allowed to be so.
As proposed in
we could still do explicit checks for "null" but nevertheless throw the
standard (non-specific and non localized) NPE.