On Nov 7, 2010, at 6:02 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

> On 11/7/10 8:19 PM, James Carman wrote:
>> So you think that if there is no API break, then you don't bump major
>> version numbers?  So what about vfs 2.0?  Would you vote against it?
>
> I would not -1 the release, but I would encourage the RM to consider making
> it 1.x if there are no compat breaks.

As Sebb has shown there are compatibility breaks.  The real issue here is that
it has been far too long since a VFS release has been done.

I'm not sure why the version was bumped from 1.1 to 2.0, but it happened in
March 2008, at least 8 months before I started working on the code.  That
change was 16 months after the prior release.

Is the goal to never do a release?

Ralph