On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Gilles Sadowski <
gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> [...]
> "should"
> as "Ideally, if I had the time, I would do it".

> the
> > > 3.0
> > >
> > > Revert what?
> > >

> > I meant revert the commit.
>
> OK, I don't follow; but I surely hope that you didn't mean that we should
> keep the deprecated classes in 3.0.
>

> > > I'll copy the files as suggested above, but the information in there
> will
> > > be
> > > inconsistent (e.g. the replacement classes are *not* in the branch).
> >

> > In that case, there is no need to deprecate in either branch, but in at
> > least most cases in this commit, the deprecated methods exist in 2.1,
> which
> > means they should be deprecated in the 2.2 release.
>
> The first part of this sentence, I don't get either.
>
> > > Luc
> > > already said that it was a nightmare to keep the branches in sync. [I
> do
> > > not
> > > have time for that. I mean: I do not have time for that.]
> > > Luc also indicated that 2.2 will/should be considered as a maintenance
> > > release: Users will be able to stick with 2.2 or upgrade to 3.0, but
> will
> > > not be able able to make all their code compatible with 3.0 while
> running
> > > on
> > > 2.2.
> > >

> > I agree with that.  We have also agreed that we should try as best we can
> > deprecate the methods and classes that are going to be removed in 3.0.
>  It
> > makes no sense to do those deprecations in the 3.0 source tree without
> > applying them to the 2.x branch as that is the branch that will form the
> > basis for the release that should contain the deprecations.  If you have
> no
> > time to do the deprecations in the proper branch, then don't waste time
> > doing them in the 3.0 branch.  It will be even more confusing to users
> when
> > they mysteriously vanish when you subsequently remove the code in the 3.0
> > branch and  Luc or I miss the clean up in preparing the 2.2 release.
> >
> > Lets agree to either fully deprecate as we remove things of just remove
> code
> > and leave the cleanup to the lucky RM for 2.2.
>
> OK. I'm sorry that I misinterpreted your insistence on "micro-commits". I
> thought that you'd find it useful to have reference (through the commit log
> email) indicating that some methods X were deprecated in revision Y (and
> moreover, that revision Y contains only that particular change, and
> furthemore that the deprecation message indicates what replaces the
> deprecated code).
>
> Now, if you are satisfied with a terse '@deprecated' in the 2.2 branch and
> an immediate disappearance in 3.0, that's prefectly fine with me; that

Sorry, that's what I meant and I misunderstood what you were saying above
about new code - you were referring to the replacement methods.  Sorry I
misunderstood.  In any case, I still think it only makes sense to deprecate
in a release prior to the one that removes the code, so I would say yes,
just remove the code in 3.0 and try to do the deprecations in 2.2.  In some
cases, the message can only say the method is going to be removed.

Phil