On Dec 7, 2010, at 7:19 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 December 2010 09:18, Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>> Hi.

>>> There are several implementations of UnivariateRealFunction, e.g.
>>> PolynomialFunctionLagrangeForm.
>>>
>>> Are these not suitable as parameters to the map method?
>>
>> They are, but they do not provide a replacement for the deprecated methods,
>> which is the point of a more detailed deprecation message.

>>> I don't think it is right to leave the user totally in the dark as to
>>> how to resolve the deprecation warnings.
>>
>> There is no possible resolution in 2.2. The deprecation warning says: "You
>> will have to modify that code when upgrading to 3.0".
>
> In which case the upgrade path should be mentioned elsewhere in the
> release documentation.
>
> But if we already know what the methods are in 3.0, why not add a note
> to the class Javadoc to give the user the information they need?

I am now regretting having opened this can of worms.  The 3.0 API is evolving
and we are trying to do as good a job as we can including deprecations in 2.2
for things we know are going to be removed in 3.0. Beyond "terse" deprecations,
I don't think it's reasonable to try to maintain documentation on the
still-evolving 3.0 API in the 2.x branch.

Phil