On 29 March 2011 16:20, Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:08 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> We need to keep Nexus, but I agree about the release plugin - see below.

>>> AIUI then the deployment to the maven repository is either by dropping
>>> the artifacts manually in
>>> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository/ OR by using
>>> Nexus. I think once a component switches to Nexus, then the manual
>>> process doesn't work.
>>
>> Yes, that is true.
>>
>> Also, had the [net] release been using Nexus, it would have required 2
>> additional manual stages to close and then release the Maven
>> artifacts.
>> It is impossible to accidentally release Maven artifacts using Maven
>> command-line when using a staging manager such as Nexus.
>>
>> But I agree that using manual processes up to that point is better
>> than trying to use the Maven release plugin.
>
> My assumption is that the Nexus stuff is supposed to work and make
> life easier.  If it doesn't, I suppose we shouldn't use it.  Is it a
> training issue, such that none of us simply knows exactly what it is
> we ought to expect the process to do, and how it will do it?  This
> type of thing is my chief complaint about Maven in general:  it's hard
> to understand what's going on once you get a level or two of parent
> POMs in there.  If it's just a matter of "we haven't discovered the
> precise incantations that make the release plugin + Nexus instance do
> what we mean with no fuss," perhaps we could cajole Brian Fox into
> walking one of us (who solemnly vows to document the entire experience
> in full detail) through the entire lifecycle.

Nexus is effectively a proxy, and has little bearing on how Maven
deploy or release work.
The artifacts end up in Nexus rather than in a directory that is
auto-synched to Maven Central.

This makes it easy to review the actual artifacts that will be
deployed, as well as ensuring that artifacts cannot be accidentally
deployed.

Nexus release process is described here:

http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html