>> We really need to drop the javac support. It was a hack. But releasing
>> it as is will be a bit of a pain as it depends on an old jvm to just
>> pass the tests.
>
> Is it really not possible to implement javac support with a more recent JVM?

It is - that is the jsr199 compiler that needs to be finished.
It would be great to finish that and not look back.
Although I made some progress I don't think I have the time.

> Doesn't Ant have code to invoke the javac compiler?

The usual command line calling of javac that other tools did before is
not really an option for jci. There is no way of doing in-memory
compilation. Except for the javac hack in jci I wish hadn't released
:)

cheers,
Torsten