<snip/>

Given that I have looked a bit after BCEL over the past few years here
are my two cents:

BCEL development is dead dead dead ... still people come and use it.
Why they don't use ASM is beyond me. I myself use ASM whenever I can.
For those how want "easier" I would suggest javassist ...if it wasn't LGPL
(although I heard it is now dual licensed LGPL + MPL)

That said BCEL trunk has quite some major fixes and changes.
Due to lack of feedback and testers this has never been released.
And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

BCEL is one of the few failed Apache communities.
A couple people/groups/projects have forked it without ever contributing back.
This would have been crucial for this so very specialized code base.
Not pointing fingers - it was very poorly maintained before.

After the years I have given up hope on BCEL.
Being part of Commons ... hm ... doesn't feel right.
Who would step up and work on it here? (anyone?)

IMO attic would reflect the reality. Just not sure whether we should
do a release before or not.

> Regarding Tomcat usage - it might be of interest to the new commons
> sandbox component - formerly Meiyo. Tomcat 7 uses BCEL to scan
> annotations without the need to load classes through a class loader.

With all honesty - it should switch to ASM and not look back.

cheers,
Torsten
--
http://www.yourdailygeekery.com