For some reason Christian's message didn't arrive in the proper email folder so
I never saw it.

Actually, the real problem here isn't as much the LICENSE and NOTICE files as
it is checkstyle.xml.  It would be bad to have copy of that file in each
sub-folder as the checkstyle rules would be likely to get out of synch.
However, it is probably good to have a single copy of the other files as well.

Ralph