> Well, in fact I would very much like to have immutable vectors too.
> Immutability is really a way to simplify implementations. Surprisingly it
> sometimes also decrease time and memory consumption, because defensive
> copies littering user code can be avoided.

Luc, I have a silly question. Why do you think immutable vectors would
prevent defensive copy ? Creating an immutable vector from an existing
mutable vector would require a defensive copy, wouldn't it?
Thats the reason why I'm talking about read-only vectors, and not
immutable vectors.
The solver would keep a reference to the underlying (mutable) vector,
so would be able to modify (indirectly) the read-only vector.
The observer would only have a reference to the read-only vector, so
would not be able to modify the underlying vector.

Sébastien