A common pattern is to introduce an own 'run-its' profile which configures
surefire to pickup those tests.

It's just not good to have tests which in summary takes longer than 3 minutes
to run. This usually leads to developers using -Dmaven.test.skip=true which is
kind of counter productive...

LieGrue,
strub