On 12 August 2011 15:29, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:54 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12 August 2011 14:33, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Can we proceed like so?
>>>
>>> - I'll save my generified codec in an svn branch ASAP.
>>> - we can discuss that and get the best design
>>> - is it binary compatible?
>>
>> Or can it be made binary-compatible without excessive compromises?
>
> I think we should look at the generics branch (when it is there), make
> it the best we can, and then consider what it means to binary
> compatibility and if it is worth achieving.
>

>>> - if not, which is my current view, then package is codec2
>>
>> Whatever the final decision, it's much easier to keep the package name
>> as codec until just before release.
>
> trunk is codec2 ATM based on the binary incompatibility, due to
> removed deprecated methods and other changes (field made final for
> example.)

Yes, if released as binary incompat. it will have to change to codec2,
but the package change can (and IMO should) be left until the last
moment.

As it stands now, it's much harder to check for binary compat (have to
use shade before using clirr).
Also, if it turns out to be possible to maintain binary compat, the
name change will have to be reverted.