On 10/4/11 5:42 PM, Greg Sterijevski wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance of Abelian Fields, but what would be a use of this set
> of classes? Do they simplify some calculation or make some code faster? The
> question is, "are they numerical?"

We can all look at Sebastien's use cases to assess general
usefulness.  They are not likely going to be "numerical" in the
sense of having lots of direct applications to numerical analysis,
but that is just one of the applied areas that [math] touches.  We
have both discrete and continuous components and even in dealing
with computations involving fields and real or complex function
spaces, it might be useful to have classes representing rings and
groups.  Where they might be useful is in modelling things such as
automorphism groups that have only a group (or ring, as the case may
be) structure.  I don't personally have examples where I need this
stuff, but it could be that Sebastien does.  I am open to adding
these algebraic constructs as and when the practical applications
arise that need them, or that can be expressed more simply or
naturally using them.

Phil