>> Maybe not in this case, but if the dependency is then updated AIUI
>> using shading would prevent the user from updating the dependency
>> independently.
>
> This is my understanding as well.  I've also been told packagers - those
> people that create RPMs or debs or ... - don't like shaded dependencies
> for the same reason.

Such independent updates might be of interest with bigger libraries
but in cases like this I would prefer to keep compress without dependencies.
You have to find a middle ground for these kind of things.
After all shading is what helps to prevent jar hell.

...but anyway - I am not religious about this.
Just trust your gut, Stefan.