On 5 December 2011 15:42, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I do not like annotations to describe the stability of an API.
>
> If it's public I can use it. The next release is binary and/or source
> compatible, just document how to migrate. No one is forcing me to upgrade.

If your component is part of a larger application that may not be
true, see below.

> If I upgrade, I am using a new pile of code and I must deal with that.

That's OK if your code is stand-alone at the end of the food chain,
and you have control over it.

Commons components often are deeply embedded.

> Using ".internal" packages is an interesting way to go.
>
> But I do like documentation of some kind for things like immutability and
> thread-safety.
>
> We've started going down the path of what I call "extreme versioning" when
> we create new packages for new incompatible releases.
>
> Right now, binary incompatible -> new package (I'm even going to include
> Maven artifact ID noise here).

See below for the reason why that is generally necessary.

> But what about a change in behavior that is not compatible? Should that not
> lead to a new package?

Depends why the behaviour changed. Is it a bug fix?

> Commons is a 'special' project because it includes so many components. It
> would be nice if all components played by the same rules. Strictly
> speaking, I think we are bound to do so.

I would say the Commons components are special because they are likely
to be deeply nested in applications, with many other components
depending on them.

It may not be possible to upgrade the other components all at once.
Some may be impossible to replace.
If two components in the same classpath need incompatible versions, it
will in general be impossible to update unless the two versions can
coexist.

That is why we have the rules on package/Maven id changes, so there
can be multiple versions of a Commons component on the same classpath,
if the need arises.

Because package changes are expensive to end users, we try to avoid
them if at all possible.

That is why it's worth striving for binary compatibility.