On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 6:51 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 December 2011 16:46, henrib <hen...@apache.org> wrote:
>> You summed it up pretty well;
>> Can we participate in moving forward  - Java6 is not really the bleeding
>> edge... - or are we bound to remain on obsolete platforms with Commons ?
>
> That is not a question I can answer, because it's not a simple
> dichotomy (if that's the correct word).
>
> It's not my view that all Commons components have to remain on 1.5
> until no-one else is using that release.
> Nor is it my view that all Commons components should immediately be
> able to switch to 1.6.
>
> My view is that while there is still a need for software to be able to
> run on Java 1.5, we should not insist on requiring a minimum of
> 1.6.*unless* there is good technical reason for doing so.
>
> I've yet to see that argument put forward; nor has anyone produced
> evidence that Java 1.5 is not still being used in production across
> the user base.

Hey what is wrong with doing jexl3 with Java 6?
Why do we need to satisfy to use current technology (guess its already
j7 out there)?
I mean, the proposal is to upgrade the requirements with a version bump.

What is the problem with:
- Jexl 2 going maintenance and bugfix mode only, using j5
- Jexl 3 going to have j6 (to the joy of its developers) and doing all
the new fancy stuff

I do not think we have to clarify why we go to j6, we have to clarify
why we still stick to j5 when we do a major version bump.

Probably there is need for j5 software - these users can benefit from
jexl2. If maintenance mode is not enough I ask myself why we don't
still support Java 1.4. I mean, recently I saw it live (guess, at a
bank).

Imho Commons must not always be the most conservative place ever. We
should progress a little more or after all we have only the banks as
users, because the modern guys go with all that modern stuff.

Of course if you volunteer to migrate all the jexl3 things to jexl2,
please go ahead and do it. But this should not force Henri to develop
in j6. I mean one team, one dream, but how can you attract new
developers with java5 nowadays?

Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de