sebb-2-2 wrote

> My view is that while there is still a need for software to be able to
> run on Java 1.5, we should not insist on requiring a minimum of
> 1.6.*unless* there is good technical reason for doing so.

But you don't consider a good (technical) reason the fact that the
contributor can not/does not want to incur the cost of maintaining a JDK 1.5
on its dev platforms to be able to contribute to newer versions...
And no-one is stating that Java 1.5 is not in used in production somewhere;
but IMHO, these are not the ones that will be JEXL3 users, especially since
they have 2.1 (soon).
Anyway and beyond the point, my advice to 1.5 users is that before trying to
use "new" versions of libraries, migrating away from an unsupported/EOLed
platform should be their priority.