On 12/19/11 7:48 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/18/11 1:12 PM, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>>> [ ] +1 Accept [graph] as a proper component
>>> [ ] +/- 0 uhm...
>>> [ ] -1 Don't accept it - and please explain why
>>>
>>> Open will stay open for 72h and closes on Wed 21th, 8:15 PM CET.
>> -1 unless I hear from other ASF committers intending to work on this
>> component.
>>
>> I will happily change this to +1 if any of the people who have voted
>> +1 assert they intend to commit or if any other ASF committer
>> asserts that intention.
>>
>> We have too many "one man shows" and walking dead in Commons proper
>> now to make more.
> One more or less will not hurt. ;-) </kidding>
>
> Actually [graph] with one active committer (Simone), one interested
> committer (James) and 3 (!) active contributors is in a better state
> than many other components.
>
> If the "one man shows" are a problem, then I suggest we clean up the
> proper list and move things to dormant

It seems obvious to me that a good first step is to stop making new
ones.  To clean up the existing list, we need to agree on either a
labeling solution, move to the Attic or extending the dormant
concept to proper (what was proposed, but did not get to consensus).
>  instead of blocking an actively
> developed component.

What exactly is being blocked?

> Who knows - with 3 active contributors chances are good they are
> joining the commons team.

Great!

> >From my own experience, it is *very* frustrating to contribute on a
> sandbox component and if there weren't Torsten who supported me so
> much I probably would have given up.

That, IMO, is what needs to be fixed.  Why not just agree that
sandbox contributions and involvement is no different from proper?
I went through the same thing myself years ago when [math] was in
the sandbox.  And there are lots of other examples as well, I am
sure.  We vote committers in based on contributions and
collaboration and when we vote them in it is for all of Commons, not
just a single component, so it really should not matter what state
the component(s) they are working on are in.

Phil

>>> http://twitter.com/simonetripodi