Le -10/01/-28163 20:59, Hassan Siddiqui a écrit :
> Dear Commons-Math developers

Hi Hassan,

> My name is Hassan Siddiqui and I am working on a Java scientific project
> that involves a significant amount of numerical analysis code. There are
> some 300+ developers and scientist involved in this project.

I guess I (and Gilles even more than me) know which project you are
talking about ...

> We are using Commons-Math already to an extent but we do intend to be
> more involved.

Fine.

> But one question I would like to ask is what is the process for
> arranging for a new release of Commons-Math. I ask because we have
> 6-month release schedule for our mathematical and utility library, which
> makes use of Commons Math, and we would like to see whether we can have
> releases of Commons Math that could fit that release cycle.

Yes. We have not been very good at this for the last release and it was
way too late. However, we do want to be more in line with the "release
early, really often" credo.

What is most needed is help in resolving the issues that are registered
in our JIRA tracking system
(<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH>). Opening new issues also
help improving the product, of course, but help in solving them is most
wanted.

As far as simple issues are concerned, they can be dicussed on the JIRA
tracker itself, and patches can be attached (not forgetting to check the
box allowing us to include the patch in the main code). Testing the
already provided patch and cleaning them so they do have appropriate
comments, javadocs and test cases helps. When discussion on issues is
too long, it is better to switch the discussion to the developers
mailing list, as it is a more appropriate place for this.

When the component has reached a state where another release is worth
doing, then asking for such a release on the dev list and helping in
freezing the code and polishing it is greatly appreciated.

> We are more than happy to assist in Commons Math releases, if this helps.

Thanks for your help.

Luc