As opposed to calendar-based release scheduling, I would suggest
perhaps using a more feature-based approach.  For transparency, use
JIRA's target version (or whatever it's called) to schedule which
releases will contain fixes for which issues.  The reason I'm hesitant
to put something on the calendar is because we are a volunteer-based
organization (for the most part).  What if the developers just don't
have time to get to anything?  Of course, there's the flip side of
that equation.  What if our developers rock out everything that should
be in a release?  Why wait until the end of the 6 month window?
Release now! :)