I think there are 2 mechanisms involved here:

a.) the part which takes a jar, scans it's bytecode in a well performing manner
and provides all the class structure information to the user.

b.) a mechanism which allows to reuse this scanning process for multiple
'classscan-clients'. Currently OWB, OpenEJB, tomcat, MyFaces, OpenJPA, etc each
scan all the classpath over and over again. That sucks and we should get rid of
it.

LieGrue,
strub