Hi James,

2012/5/9 James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM, Luc Maisonobe <luc.maison...@free.fr> wrote:
>>> Is there such a thing as short-term serialization?
>>
>> Yes, of course, and this what many people need. This is what James
>> called marshalling/unmarshalling. This is a standard way to communicate
>> between some applications that share a common basis. Of course [math] is
>> not a distributed computing environment, but it should not prevent
>> people from being used in a distributed environment.
>>

> For long-term serialization needs, I would suggest instead that we
> introduce (perhaps it's there already, I'm not familiar with the
> entire codebase) exporters/importers which support some
> industry-standard file format(s) (such as those used by R for
> example).  Now, I would only suggest we introduce these where it makes
> sense, such as for larger data structures like matrices.  For
> something with a few fields, not so much.

Setting aside the discussion on serialization, this would probably be
a nice extension. The problem is to find a good (as in "widely used")
standard. Do you think the file formats used by R are good candidates
(meaning: used outside the R community)? Are these file format indeed
standardized, with precise specifications?
I've heard about HDF as well, but I have not investigated.
Sébastien