<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/math/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/optimization/RealPointValuePair.java?view=log&pathrev=1243185>).

<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/math/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/math/optimization/PointValuePair.java?r1=748274&r2=746504&pathrev=748274>).

> This class was renamed PointValuePair and changed to extend
> Pair<double[], Double> as of r1243186 on 2012-02-12. At that time, it
> lost is serializble feature since base class Pair is not serializable.
> The problem is that it is now impossible to add this feature back
> because Pair<K,V> also misses a no-arg constructor (which is fine
> because it must be immutable and we cannot enforce K and V to be
> serializable).
>
> This problem of Pair serialization was already encountered a few months
> ago (see discussion <http://markmail.org/thread/7fghomgsvayplhmb>, were
> a SerializablePair class was mentioned). The SerializablePair class was
> created as of r1079545 (2011-03-11,
> <http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1079545>) and
> deleted 16 days later as of r1086045 according to MATH-551 (2011-03-27,
> <http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1086045>).
>
> In order to fix bug MATH-787 and to recover the lost functionality of
> serializing the simple containers similar to PointValuePair, I would
> suggest we drop the inheritance from Pair<K,V> (because we *cannot*
> enforce serialization for this base class dur to its generic nature). We
> do not need this inheritance to Pair<K,V> here. It brings no added value
> to the class. Droping this inheritance would allow a clean and simple
> implementation of serialization. However, I fear this is an incompatible
> change (we cannot cast anymore to Pair).
>
> What do you think about it ?

Use writeReplace/readResolve. All you need is a nested internal class that
transports the data:

class UnserializableMe extends Aaargh implements Serializable {
  Object writeReplace() {
    return new SerializebleMe(dataToKeep);
  }
  private static class SerilizeableMe implements Serializable {
  Object readResolve() {
    return new UnserializebleMe(dataKept);
  }
  }
}

Nobody cares what *is* actually written into the stream, especially if you
do not intent to support serialization between different versions of the
class.

- Jörg