On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 01:25:42PM +0200, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Sébastien Brisard <
> sebastien.bris...@m4x.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > > Probably easiest to use the Wiki for this, at least initially.
> > >
> > I'm not very fond of the Wiki: maybe I could just start a JIRA ticket,
> > that would allow recording our discussions.
> >
> > > If there are compulsory rules - e.g. no tabs - a reason should be
> > > given, for example:
> > > Tab settings vary. This causes alignment issues, so tabs are banned.
> > >
> > > Generally it's easier to understand and follow rules if their purpose
> > > is made explicit.
> > >
> > OK, so for all rules, we will try to provide a reason.
> >

> It would be nice to have something in common for all commons (sic!)
> components ;-)
>
> It is somehow odd that one has to switch coding style when working on
> different components

That's certainly strange, but the fact is that the Commons components do not
have much in common...  The codes live separate lives (dependencies, even to
"sibling" Commons components, is forbidden for CM), and nothing is more tied
to code than its formatting: I mean, conventions vary slightly from project
to project, and "Commons" cannot be considered a single programming project.

Let's agree that it would be nice to have a single set of conventions within
a "src" subdirectory of the repository. [That's already enough to generate a
sizeable amount of discussions...] ;-)