On 8/23/12 3:39 AM, Sébastien Brisard wrote:
> Hi,
> in MATH-851, a discussion about code- and comments-formatting as yet
> again taken place. It is true we are a bit fuzzy on this side. I
> propose to start writing something up in the developer's guide. This
> will be a start, and every one of you could then comment on these
> guidelines.
> The idea is to gather the compulsory rules, as well as some optional
> rules, which should then be complemented by the rationale for these
> optional rules.
>
> What do you think ?

I have only one comment:

fewer rules == better

More rules mean more stuff to worry about cleaning up.  Putting the
onus on contributors to follow lots of picky formatting and style
rules presents a barrier to contribution.  Having to fix lots of
inconsequential formatting stuff is a waste of time that I would
prefer not to spend in preparing my own commits or reviewing and
applying patches by others.

No tabs is a good rule because they screw up diffs.  Having good and
meaningful javadoc is a good rule because it makes the software
easier to use and maintain.  Counting spaces, how to use articles,
what to capitalize - not worth standardizing and not a good thing to
do in OSS, IMO.

Phil