Hi Gary,
Good question.  There would need to be some OS version checking to
determine which directory to return.  I seem to recall that older versions
of Windows had a C:\Documents and Settings folder or something like that.
 Currently, I use Spring to config these directories (rather than hard
coding them).  What would be the appropriate Commons VFS way of dealing
with this?  An abstract factory method perhaps with hard coded factories
per OS + version?

Cheers,

Mark