From: Mark Fortner [mailto:phidia...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 11:54 AM
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [VFS] Support for File System Roots?

Hi Gary,
This would be per operating system.  So, if I call
*RootFactory.getRoot(RootNames.HOME)
*from a Linux box, that would resolve to */home/<username>*, on a
Windows box that might be */Users/<username>*.  It would be driven by
the *
System.getProperty("user.home")* variable.  The other roots, are OS
dependent and are subdirectories of the home directory.  You might also
have another method like *getRoot(RootNames.HOME, OS.LINUX)* that would
let you get the value for Linux, even if you aren't on a Linux box.

The URIs might look like "/Documents" which would resolve to
"file:///home/<username>/Documents".

This came up because I'm reworking a Swing file manager using JavaFX and
I wanted to clean up the API some and minimize any VFS specific
workarounds I was doing.

Cheers,

Mark