On 03/19/2013 08:18 PM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Hi Jared,
>
> Le 19/03/2013 17:14, Becksfort, Jared a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using the Apache Common XML file to format my code submissions
>> in Eclipse.  Gilles says my last submission has some CheckStyle
>> warnings, so I installed the CheckStyle plugin.  It gives tons of
>> warnings, including some that go against the posted style guidelines,
>> such as "All public methods must advertise all exceptions they
>> generate...".  It also complains about lines being too wide, but the
>> XML file configuration does not wrap certain types of lines.  There
>> are lots of others, including spaces following the asterisks in the
>> javadocs, which surely the autoformatter could handle.
>
> The problem you encounter is known. Basically, it is due to the eclipse
> checkstyle plugin configuration ignoring the checkstyle.xml file. When
> you ask eclipse to run checkstyle, it uses a completely different
> default configuration, and of course will raise thousands of warnings.
>
> We have set up the appropriate setting for the maven checkstyle plugin
> (see the pom.xml which specifies that ${basedir}/checkstyle.xml and
> ${basedir}/license-header.txt should be used).
>
> Configuring the eclipse checkstyle plugin is completely different. I
> tried to make it use the same files, but failed up to now. I will
> perhaps give it another try later on.

Go to Project Properties | Checkstyle | Local Check Configurations

Create a new Project Relative Configuration, select the checkstyle.xml
file. Give it a meaningful name.

Click on protect Checkstyle configuration file.

For math this is not necessary, but normally you would need to resolve
some properties, like location of header template file.

When you are done, click on the Main tab, and select the newly created
configuration, otherwise the default one is used which creates lots of
warnings.

Something that I usually add to the checkstyle.xml:

  <property name="severity" value="warning"/>

As the warnings are otherwise reported as errors, which is annyoing.

Thomas