On 23 April 2013 02:19, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To release Codec 1.8, I just tried following
> https://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html
>
> In particular:
>
> "Before you close<
> http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html#close-stage>the
> staging repository you must remove the tarballs/zips together with
> their PGP signatures and checksums using the Nexus web interface. While you
> are at it you can also remove the checksums Nexus created for the PGP
> signatures of the remaining artifacts, they are not needed at all."

[BTW, this does not have to be done before closing; it can be done before
publishing. Not sure why Nexus allows deletion from a closed repo, but it
does]

If a mistake is made, just delete and recreate the staging repo.It's not
that difficult.

Nexus / Maven is not ideal in that it creates hashes for .ASC files, but
having a staging repo is a huge benefit compared with the pre-Nexus
situation.
If you look around Maven Central, you will see a lot of mistaken releases
(e.g. snapshots in the release area). Once released to Maven, it cannot be
unreleased.

I don't want to go back to that time.

So I dutifully deleted .md5 and sha1 files and guess what? I messed it up
> by deleting all MD5 and SHA1 files instead of just this one and that one
> out of the 61 files that are presented in the UI. Frak! So beware, our
> release process sucks rocks and does not do it well, as it has for years.

It still takes a bit of care, but I think it's a lot better / safer than it
used to be.

Note: it's possible to prevent the non-Maven artifacts from being uploaded
to Nexus.
It would then be possible to just leave the useless hashes in place
However, this means additional work has to be done to create the
tarballs/zips and their sigs/hashes.

We just need a Maven expert to help fix up the process now that svnpubsub
is in use.