Some follow-up: the .ASC hashes can (should) be deleted before the vote
starts.

As to the (non-Maven) tarballs: another approach would be to create them in
Nexus as per usual, but move them (copy/delete) to the svnpubsub staging
area [1] before the vote starts.

It would make the reviewers job slighly harder - one extra URL to download
and check - but there would then be no need to adjust either staging area
after the vote.
So any mistakes would have fewer consequences.

It would hopefully be possible to automate at least some of that process.

[1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/