On 2013-05-12, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:

> On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org> wrote:

>> I'm off to read the format spec so I can have a more detailed look.

> The 7zFormat.txt in 7z920.tar.bz2 is more up-to-date than the one in
> lzma920.tar.bz2, but neither is decipherable without reading the
> reference implementation (of which only the C++ version is complete),
> and the reference implementation differs from them (eg. NIDs are
> UINT64s, not BYTEs).

Uh, great.  Thanks for the hint.

>> If/when we think about restructuring the existing code base for 2.x the
>> there may be some similarities between ZIP and 7z that could be
>> extracted, I'm not too sure, though.

> For 2.x can we use a RandomAccessFile based API for at least reading
> files, since seeking through a one-pass InputStream requires O(n)
> memory?

There isn't anything we can't do for 2.x :-)

Seriously, we've had talks about modifying the API to use generics and
account for similarities in some of the Entry classes (farm out the Unix
permissions and owner stuff).  This was first raised several years ago
and comes up every now and then but in the end dies down for lack of
time and the fact that the current API doesn't seem to be too painful.

>> Damjan, you forgot to add yourself to the POM. :-)

> I thought I'd first commit a few more patches so I earn the right to
> be a "<developer>" :).

Your call.  By Commons' rules you are free to add yourself any time you
want to, you don't need anybody's permission.

Cheers

        Stefan