On 16 Oct 2013, at 23:14, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 16/10/2013 21:34, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
Now what are you folks expecting? A full-fleshed out plan how to move? I
think we should
first decide IF we move and that was was happening here.

What I was expecting was decisions to be made on the basis of consensus.

Which is sometimes pretty difficult with a PMC of that size.

The vote was not for a trial with a single component nor was it for a
gradual move to git as components decided that they wanted to move. The
vote was for a very black and white proposal to move the entire of
Commons from svn to git.

Sure, thats the goal: "Move Commons to GIT". But it doesn't imply the
actual steps. It didn't say anything of "switch all components" at once.

The vote did not get consensus - far from it with around a third of
those voting against the proposal. Therefore my objection was to the
statement in the vote result that "Apache Commons will be moving to Git
for SCM".

Sure, it will not do that. Commons will most likely never move to GIT
and stay where it is.

It was also pretty clear to start with a small step first and move a
single component.
If that would went wrong we could either go back without bigger loss or
discuss what needs to be improved.

That is not what was stated in the vote. If it had been, I would have
voted +1. I indicated as much when I voted.

Come on. Nobody said we move all components at once. In some thread it was also said its around little steps first. James requested a single experimental
git repository.

That aside: even when we would have successfully voted on GIT, do you really
believe you have zero influence on how it is done? Do you think James
would have requested the move of all Commons components at once without telling us?

This is not how our community worked or works.

We are not using experimental bleeding edge technology here. We just
wanted to decide if we will follow the git path or not.

I really can't see anything bulldozed here.

The bulldozing was the statement "Apache Commons will be moving to Git
for SCM" when a significant proportion of the committers voted against
such a move.

Aha ok.

So in my ears it didn't sound so bulldozing. He tallied up the votes and draw a conclusion. Bulldozing is to request all git repositories at once at Infra. Luckily that kind
of bulldozing can be stopped.

I have not understood it otherwise.
Why did you start to believe we move all components at once?

The text of the vote, the text of the vote result and the context in
which the vote was conducted. At no point did the James (who was driving this issue) make any statement that suggested (to me at least) anything
other than a wholesale migration from svn to git.

I don't see it like that.

For me it was a general question without implying any real plan.
And again: if there would have been such a misunderstanding we could have
fixed that after we decided if we move to GIT or not.

Further, if the consensus amongst the active developers on a component is that they wish to stick to svn, I see no why that component should be
forced to switch to git.

I had the idea too and support it.

At this point I am unclear what support there is for what since folks
appear to have very different interpretations of exactly what was being
voted on.

I think that there is consensus for a single component to trial the svn
to git migration to see how it goes. That approach certainly has my
support although I won't be volunteering any of the components I'm
working on - while I can see the advantages of git, the git mirrors give me most of the advantages with none of the migration pain. I'm sure that
balance will change over time but personally I'm not there yet.

Ok.

Cheers
Christian

Mark