On 12/13/13, 11:34 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 12:57 AM, Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/12/13, 6:50 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>> Hi All:
>>>
>>> We talk on and off as to how painful it is to release components.
>>>
>>> One of these pains is that we distribute to multiple places: An Apache
>>> "dist" folder and the Apache Maven repository.
>>>
>>> Clearly, Maven is here to stay.
>>>
>>> So why not deploy the -src and -bin files to Maven and forget about
>> dist. A
>>> URL is a URL, what do users care is the URL points deep into "dist" or
>> our
>>> Maven repo. I for one, need the -bin zips for certain Apache projects
>>> (JMeter, ActiveMQ) so my Ant Ivy builds can download and install them.
>>>
>>> I know we have some legal requirements to host at least the sources and
>>> that we provide binaries as a "courtesy" but does it matter _where_ the
>>> files are on Apache servers?
>> The releases need to be mirrored.  That's what dist is for.
>>
> How is this not the same thing that happens with the Maven repo, which is
> mirrored all over as well? Please educate/correct me.

See Mark's comments.  We need to either say we are not directly
providing artifacts to users (not acceptable, IMO), or direct users
to mirrors.  The way dist and the various download cgis work is that
users are directed to download the artifacts from mirrors near them,
not directly from ASF servers.   I guess we could in theory direct
them to maven central, but that makes me a little twitchy as we
don't really control or monitor the process of mirroring there.

So if we are going to distribute directly, we should continue to do
it from dist.  Mark also makes a good point about archives.

Phil