On 12/13/13, 12:34 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/13/13, 11:34 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:

>>> How is this not the same thing that happens with the Maven repo, which is
>>> mirrored all over as well? Please educate/correct me.
>> See Mark's comments.  We need to either say we are not directly
>> providing artifacts to users (not acceptable, IMO),
>
> We are, for example:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/

We should not be pointing users at that URL for download, because it
is not a mirror reference (Mark or some infra@-knowledgeable person
can correct me if I am wrong here).  The mirrors exist in part to
prevent ASF servers getting hammered by end-users trying to download
artifacts.  Pointing end-users to repo.a.o is pointing them directly
at ASF infra, which is a no-no (because it does not take advantage
of the load-distribution advantage of the mirroring system).  As I
said above, if we want to go this way, we will have to point them at
maven central, which runs afoul of the requirement that Sebb