On 20 December 2013 17:57, Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2013-12-20, sebb wrote:

>>> Yes, I actually tried it again before sending my email.
>
>> I don't get a Findbugs error if I comment out the two methods.
>> I am using Findbugs 2.0.3 in Eclipse.
>
>> What Findbugs error do you get?
>
> http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/bugDescriptions.html#EQ_DOESNT_OVERRIDE_EQUALS
>
> using "mvn site" and findbugs-maven-plugin 2.3.2.

Ah, OK (though I don't see that myself).

That is most likely because of the additional fields in the class,
which Findbugs expects to contribute to the equals method.

If we drop those - which are always null - (and change the deprecated
methods accordingly), we can drop the methods as well.

This should solve both PMD and Findbugs.